(Don’t forget to contribute to our Patreon campaign or join us on the Radio Free Covenant Discord server! Don’t forget to tune in to the Radio Free Covenant podcast every Saturday at 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. Pacific) on our Twitch page and get a summary of the game rules!)
Featured Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
We’ve gotten a lot done on Covenant’s playtest rules this week, including the item creation rules and a list of off-the-shelf items! Find out more below the fold.
Here’s what we have to talk about today:
- The completion of the Items appendix
- The completion of the Predesigned Items appendix
- The progress that we’re making on Covenant
We finished the Items appendix on Thursday. This was originally supposed to be part of one long chapter with the Building and Fixing Items chapter. The Building and Fixing Items chapter had the bids that you needed to make items, while the Items appendix has the actual rules for designing them.
The Items appendix has three sections:
- Weapons: Rules for designing weapons
- Armor: Rules for designing armor
- Gear: Rules for designing tools and other miscellaneous gear
Each of these sections, in turn, is divided into three subsections:
- Creating X: The actual item creation rules
- Features: Additional components that can make an item more powerful or useful
- Flaws: Components that can make an item less powerful or useful, but that allow you to put on more features on a one-to-one basis
PREDESIGNED ITEMS APPENDIX
The Predesigned Items appendix has off-the-shelf weapons, armor, and gear for new players or for players who don’t want to design their own items. Most of the editing work here involved checking our math and making sure the names of the features and flaws were correct. The list of items is pretty thin right now, but we hope to add more during our rewrite process.
We have just three more appendices to add to the playtest rules:
- Traits: Some suggested traits that players can use for their characters or off of which they can base their own traits
- Abilities: Some suggested traits that players can use for their characters or off of which they can base their own traits
- Conditions: Conditions that can affect characters and items during play
These are basically glorified lists like the Items appendix. Since we blew through the Items appendix in one day, we’re confident that we can have these last three appendices done before the end of October. That will give us four months to the playtest rules’ Feb. 28, 2021 deadline, which we will spend rewriting them and getting them ready to be distributed to our playtesters.
That’s it for now. Talk to you next week!